PLATELET RICH PLASMA
PLATELET RICH PLASMA
What is Platelet Rich Plasma?
Great News: New technology has made PRP much more accessible. The latest technology allows us to harvest and create the amount of platelets a person would need from a very small amount of blood (just 30ml of blood via syringe), almost the same amount when you are doing your blood work. Out of 30mL of your blood, we can harvest 3mL of PRP and inject it into the surgical area to accelerate healing & regeneration.
Why PRP is Important
When the body is healing, it sends all types of cells and cell types to start the healing process. One of these cell types is the platelet. The platelet is vital because it performs many functions, such as:
- Forming blood clots
- Releasing GF (growth factors) directly into the area that needs healing. Growth factors help the body heal and repair by stimulating stem cells to do regenerate new tissues.
When we use PRP during oral surgery, it activates the release of BMP. When this BMP is released to the area in need of healing, where a patient had surgery, it goes to the implant site and lets the surgeon grow bone quicker and even more predictable than has ever been possible.
What are the Advantages of Using PRP?
- Safety: The #1 thing we care about at Poway Perio is the safety of our patients. One reason we’re passionate about PRP is because of how safe it is. PRP is generated with blood from the patient themself. Because of this, there is no need to worry about disease transmission or other concerns. It’s from the patient, directly back to the patient.
- Easy Process: PRP is a very easy-to-handle process. PRP actually improves the application process because it makes the bone grafting products and substitute materials used in surgeries more gel-like.
- Sped Up Healing: Everyone wants to get healthier faster. As briefly explained above, PRP activates more GR (growth factors) being sent to the area in need of healing. The growth factors regenerate tissue; the more that get sent, the faster a patient heals.
- Cost: PRP is very cost effective. It only takes a small amount of blood (55 c), which can be taken while the patient is in surgery), there’s no expensive costs of going to a hospital for a PRP harvesting procedure or blood bank.
Frequently Asked Questions About
Platelet Rich Plasma
What are concerns you may have about PRP?
Is PRP need in every bone grafting or oral surgery situation?
How safe is PRP?
Do insurance companies cover PRP costs?
Is anything else other than PRP needed to stimulate bone formation?
Is there anyone you recommend to not do PRP?
In what scenarios would PRP be helpful?
- Bone grafting for dental implants
- Repairing bone defects
- Repairing fistulas (those between the mouth and the sinus cavity)
Ready to learn more & book a consultation?
Here at Poway Perio, under the experience of Dr. Alireza Khansari MSD, we are happy to help you fight periodontal disease and get your teeth and gums back to good health. If you have more questions or would like to book a consultation, we’re happy to discuss your individual situation.
Or, give us a call at 858.679.0142