GUM RECESSION TREATMENT IN POWAY
WHAT IS GUM RECESSION?
If you notice your gums pulling away from one or more teeth, it’s crucial to have Dr. Alireza Khansari at Poway Perio examine them. Gum recession can expose tooth roots, causing sensitivity, root decay, and even issues like bad breath. Dr. Khansari specializes in gum grafting, which not only addresses the current recession but also helps prevent future gum loss and bone deterioration.
Why or How Does a Person Get Periodontal Disease?
Periodontal diease typically starts occuring in adults after age 45.
- History of diabetes or high blood pressure – These are factors that often make people very prone to gum disease.
- Genetics – if anyone in your family, such as your parents or grandparents, has had periodontal disease, you-re at a high genetic risk for it, too.
- Social habits – For example, if someone’s been a smoker throughout most of their life, they are at a far greater risk of getting periodontal disease.
- Braces – can sometimes lead to gum recession due to the constant compressive forces being applied to the bones of your mouth.
Frequently Asked Questions About
Why do gums recede?
There are multiple reasons gums may recede, such as:
- Vigorous toothbrushing
- Periodontal disease
- Genetics (Gum recession can be hereditary)
- Increased risk due to having orthodontic work at a young age
How does gum grafting work?
To repair the defect of gum recession, we can help through a soft tissue graft procedure. We’ll graft soft tissue onto the needed area to cover roots and create gum tissue where necessary. This gum is typically taken from the roof of the mouth, however, if there isn’t enough tissue available from the roof of the mouth, we can use donor tissue from a tissue bank.
HAVE QUESTIONS? THINK YOU MAY NEED GUM GRAFTING
If you’d like to learn more about gum recession and gum grafting or feel you may need it, feel free to give us a call or book an in-person consultation. Feel free to call us at 858.679.0142.
Ready to learn more & book a consultation?
Or, give us a call at 858.679.0142