MON 7:00AM - 4:00PM | TUE 8:00AM - 5:00PM
WED 7:00AM - 4:00PM | THU 8:00AM - 5:00PM
FRI by appointment
If you have gums that are receding, which means you have gums pulling away from a tooth or multiple teeth, it’s important to get that looked at. Gum recession can expose the root of teeth, potentially leading to sensitivity, root decay and unpleasantries like bad breath. Gum grafting also assists in preventing future recession and bone loss.
WHY OR HOW DOES A PERSON
GET PERIODONTAL DISEASE?
Why or how does a person get periodontal disease?
The most common reason for why you get periodontal disease is age. Periodontal disease typically starts occurring in adults after age 45. There are other factors that determine if or why someone gets periodontal disease. Some of these reasons include:
- History of diabetes or high blood pressure – These are factors that often make people very prone to gum disease.
- Genetics – If anyone in your family, such as your parents or grandparents, has had periodontal disease, you’re at a high genetic risk for it, too.
- Social habits – For example, if someone’s been a smoker throughout most of their life, they are at a far greater risk of getting periodontal disease.
WHY DO GUMS RECEDE?
There are multiple reasons gums may recede, such as:
- Vigorous toothbrushing
- Periodontal disease
- Genetics (Gum recession can be hereditary)
- Increased risk due to having orthodontic work at a young age
HOW DOES GUM GRAFTING WORK?
To repair the defect of gum recession, we can help through a soft tissue graft procedure. We’ll graft soft tissue onto the needed area to cover roots and create gum tissue where necessary. This gum is typically taken from the roof of the mouth, however, if there isn’t enough tissue available from the roof of the mouth, we can use donor tissue from a tissue bank.
HAVE QUESTIONS? THINK YOU MAY NEED GUM GRAFTING
If you’d like to learn more about gum grafting or feel you may need it, feel free to give us a call or book an in-person consultation. Feel free to call us at 858.679.0142.
TO BOOK YOUR CONSULTATION AND LEARN MORE
Here at Poway Perio, under the experience of Dr. Alireza Khansari MSD, we are happy to help you fight periodontal disease and get your teeth and gums back to good health. If you have more questions or would like to book a consultation, we’re happy to discuss your individual situation. Just give us a call at 858.679.0142.